Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

Identical or Not?

I had a comment a few posts back asking whether Lexi and Lyla are identical twins or not. The answer is, we don't know. To know for sure, we would have to have a DNA test done, and I don't know if it matters that much to me to spend the money on that. My OB thought that they were identical and we believe that they are identical. However, I do see differences in them, and I have never had a problem telling them apart. Here are my reasonings on why I think they are identical:

1. There was only one placenta and it was not fused.
2. They were in separate sacs, but the membrane separating them was so thin that it was hard to see
most of the time on ultrasounds.
3. Identical twins are spontaneous due to one egg splitting, and they have no genetic component to
them. Therefore, the lack of family history of twins plays no role.
4. They look WAY too much alike to not be identical. Even though there are differences between
them, they are way too similar.
5. Lastly, photographic evidence. This picture was when they were one month old....it screams
"identical" to me:


So what's your verdict? And feel free to ask any questions in the comment section. I'm happy to answer any questions you all have!

3 comments:

  1. I think they look pretty identical! If they were not, you might likely see some obvious differences by this point..unless they just happen to look a whole lot alike. Since you said there was only one placenta that was not fused, that would pretty much have to mean they were identical. Did they share an outer sac with a separating membrane inside? If so, you've got some ID girls on your hands! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Identical definitely!!! Clearly we are fraternal with blue and brown eyes! No guesswork there! Question: You mentioned somewhere the girls are on three bottles. Is that down from for 4? How are you approaching weaning them from the bottle? Cold turkey or slowly cut out the bottles. Still thinking about how I want to this and I am definitely ready to cut bottles out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there was only one placenta that's a guarantee they are identical

    ReplyDelete