Friday, January 2, 2009

What's been happening the last 4 weeks

The past 4 weeks since Lyla and Lexi were born have FLOWN by. It is extremely bittersweet for me because it means that I will be returning to work soon. However, I know they will be in good hands because they will be with their Daddy (that's the subject of a whole other post)! So what have we been up to since December 3rd?

We were discharged from the hospital on Friday, December 5th. For me, that was amazing since I basically lived in fear throughout the pregnancy that the girls would have to spend time in the NICU. Multiples are often born early and more often than not spend time there to help in their development before they are sent home. But not our miracle babies!

The first week at home we were joined by Zayde, my father, who graciously helped me out since Josh had to go back to work. He loved watching the girls while I tried to "rest". Thankfully recovery from the c-section was a piece of cake for me so "resting" was more like laundry and dishes! During this week we took Lyla and Lexi to their first pediatrician appointment with Dr. Lauren Mitchell. They were weighed, measured, and completely checked out...and declared PERFECT! They still weren't up to their birth weights so Dr. Mitchell wanted us to come back when they were 2 weeks. We really liked Dr. Mitchell and found out that she is a twin herself!

The second week at home brought Grandma, Josh's mother, to help out. She was also a huge help as she cleaned and ironed Josh's shirts (I'm a horrible wife and don't spend much time ironing!). She also got to love on the girls! We took the girls back to Dr. Mitchell where they surpassed their birth weights! At 2 weeks Lyla weighed 4 pounds 7 ounces and Lexi weighed 4 pounds 12 ounces...still munchkins!

The third week we got to spend the holidays with the greatest gifts we could ever receive. Bubbie and Zayde (my parents) came over to light the Hannukah candles on the first and last nights of Hannukah. On Christmas eve, Grandma, Grandpa, and Honey (Josh's parents and grandmother) came over and we opened presents. It was a quiet holiday season this year but we couldn't have asked for a better one. Oh yeah, and the girls celebrated their due date on December 27th! Mama and Daddy have enjoyed the 24 extra days we got with the two of you!

And now to this week, the fourth week. We rang in the new year by feeding and changing Lyla and Lexi! I know it sounds glamorous but really it's just like everyday for us, please don't be jealous ;) I was actually in their room changing Lexi when midnight struck so Josh came in their and we celebrated! I love our family.

Bubbie and Zayde holding Lyla and Lexi in the hospital

Grandma and Grandpa in the hospital

Honey holding a baby (I'm not sure which one!)

Lexi at 9 days old

Lyla at 9 days old


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. Your girls are so cute! It's neat to read about what you guys have been doing the last 4 weeks. It's also neat to hear how thankful and joyful you are. =)

  3. I'm impressed with the blog! It looks great and I think that you'll really like doing it (and it's sooo much easier than making all those phone calls, or even emails.) I was just thinking how fun it would be if I ran into you at the dr's office sometime, as long as our kids were just there for well check-ups that is. :) Just made me smile. I hope that all is well!

  4. Mine were born at exactly 37 weeks. I lived in fear of delivering preemies and having to go home while they stayed in the NICU too. It turned out we ended up staying 5 days in the hospital because of me! Emma did have to spend the first night in the NICU, but she was off oxygen late that first afternoon. They just kept her overnight for observation. Cora needed oxygen for about an hour, but that was it. I delivered at 37 weeks due to preeclampsia, and even after delivery, my bp wouldn't go down so I ended up spending 6 days in the hospital (5 days after delivery).